The multicultural place
The city was formed in the central part of Banat on the river Begej. It is difficult to determine when this happened, but the oldest news about Beckerek in written sources dates back to the 14th century. More precisely, the rest was recorded that the settlement of Beckerek existed already at that time, as evidenced by the diploma of the Buddhist cap of July 10, 1326. Judging by the size of the tens, in the thirties of the XIV century, Beckerek was a central village.
From the beginning until the middle of the 16th century, he was under the Ugar and Serbian despots Stefan Lazarević and Đurđ Branković. Mehmed pasha Sokolovic won the Vienna-based fortress in 1551, erected a quarter of a century earlier. The Turks ruled the fort until its demolition in 1701, and were expelled from Vienna in 1716 by the Austrian army. After that, Austria approached the colonization of these parts by settling Serbs from Potis, Hungary and Germany, and later later to the French, Spanish and Italian. Throughout history, the city has changed its name. His name was Bečkerek, Veliki Bečkerek, Nadč Bečkerek or Gros Bečkerek, as they were already called in their languages by Serbs, Hungarians or Germans.
The commercial rise of the Great Vienna begins in the mid-18th century. The first primary school was opened in 1722, and the first brewery was founded in 1745. The Great Beckerek became a marketplace and received the Magistrat on June 6, 1769, the charter of Maria Theresa. In the same year, the first hospital started its work, while the first pharmacy was founded in 1784. The Latin school was founded in Veliki Bečkerek in 1795, and the first grammar school in 1839, when the building of the theater was built. Five years later, in 1844, the first bank started operating. The first printing house was founded in 1847, the first local newspaper in Veliki Bečkerek was printed in 1851, and the Serbian Reading Room was founded in 1864.
History Under Austrian and Austro-Hungarian rule, Great Vienna was stayed until November 17, 1918, when the Serbian army entered the city led by Brigadier Dragutin J. Ristic. On the 18th of February, 1935, the town was named after Petrovgrad and it was kept until October 2, 1946, when the city of Veliko Beckerek was changed to Petrovgrad. when he received his present name, according to the national hero Žarko Zrenjanin – Uči.
Today, Zrenjanin is the center of the same municipality with 22 populated places. It covers an area of 1,326 km2, and according to the latest 2011 census, there are 122,714 inhabitants in the municipality. In the city itself live 75,743 residents, members of 25 nations and national minorities. Zrenjanin is the seat of the Central Banat District and it is a significant economic, political, administrative, administrative, health, educational, religious, cultural and sports center of the Republic of Serbia.
Discover all accommodation in our list